Let’s go all the way to Jamaica to try their rice and peas. It is a popular Jamaican recipe. Its also one delicacy that will make your taste buds happy. Its also eaten with Jamaican jerk chicken. So try my recipe below:
- 8 ounces small dried red beans or 8 ounces red kidney beans
- 1 quart water
- 16 ounces chicken broth or 16 ounces chicken stock or 16 ounces water
- 1⁄2 cup coconut cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white onion, chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper (left whole)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups uncooked long grain rice
- Rinse and sort beans and place in a stockpot.
- Cover with several inches of water and soak overnight,-or- bring to a boil, boil gently for 3 minutes, then remove from heat, cover, and allow to sit undisturbed for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Bring to a boil with chicken stock, water, and coconut cream.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours or until beans are tender and creamy.
- Add the thyme, allspice, scallion, onion, garlic, scotch bonnet, brown sugar, uncooked rice, salt and pepper.
- Check the level of liquid over the rice and make sure there is at least one inch of liquid (if not, you may add water or broth to cover).
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Serve hot as a side dish, with Jamaican hot sauce as a condiment, if desired.
- For Vegetarian use water not the chicken broth or stock.