TVC E. The minister of state for foreign affairs, Khadija Bukar Abba Ibrahim on Thursday,(23rd of February), has summoned the South African ambassador to Nigeria over the recent attacks on Nigerian businesses in South Africa.

According to Ibrahim, the high commissioner would be “informed of (the) government’s concerns on the situation” and asked to ensure action was taken.

“The federal government of Nigeria strongly urges the South African Government to take all necessary measures to protect the lives and property of foreigners living and working in South Africa,” she added in a statement.

However, Ibrahim said reports from South Africa that Nigerians had been killed were unsubstantiated.

The president of the National Association of Nigerian students, Aruna Kadiri, said about 100 people had “registered (their) displeasure” at the offices of mobile phone MTN.

“We want them to leave… our country. We went to MultiChoice (satellite television provider DSTV). We also delivered that message.

“We also went to the South African High Commission (embassy) where we burned their flag to pass on a message to them that we don’t have a relationship any longer.”

Kadiri added: “All the South Africans in Nigeria should leave Nigeria within 48 hours or else we won’t be able to guarantee their security.”

In the last week, more than 20 shops have been targeted in Atteridgeville, outside Pretoria, and at least 12 houses have been attacked in Rosettenville, South of Johannesburg.

The attacks have also aggravated tensions between the two leading African countries and South African-owned businesses in Abuja were vandalized in response.