Arms deal: EFCC arrest ex-Chief of Air Staff, Adesola Amosu

TVC E, NEWS - Nigeria's anti-graft agency, EFCC, has arrested and detained the immediate past Marshal, Adesola Amosu over allegation of corruption in arms procurement during his tenure. An operative of the anti-graft agency who confirmed the development said that Amosu turned himself in following a request by the EFCC and was subsequently placed under arrest. “The former Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Adesola Amosu, came yesterday(Wednesday) in response to our invitation. We sent out invitation to them last week and they were expected to report with effect from Wednesday,” the source said.  Recalled that President Muhammadu Buhari had recently directed the EFCC to investigate the former air chief and other serving and retired military officers over alleged misconduct established against them. Among those to be investigated include the embattled former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, former Chief of Defence Staff, Marshal Alex Badeh and another former Chief of Air Staff, Mohammed Umar. A...

Gov. El-Rufai suspends monarch over Indian hemp

[caption id="attachment_8217" align="alignleft" width="300"] Indian Hemp[/caption] TVC E, NEWS  - Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State, on Thursday ordered the suspension of the Village Head of Goma, Gimi District, Sanga local Government area of the state, Ibrahim Danladi, over alleged possession of Indian hemp. Danladi's immediate suspension followed his arrest by officials of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA). A statement issued by the Spokesman to Governor El-Rufai, Samuel Aruwan, said the suspension followed the arrest of the traditional ruler for being in possession of 1.5kg of marijuana. “On January 20, 2016, the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency arrested Ibrahim Danladi while he was in possession of 1.5kg of marijuana.  “Danladi is the village head of Goma in the Gimi District of Sanga local government area of the state. He admitted to ownership of the illegal drug, and the NDLEA will be charging him as soon as it concludes investigations. “The NDLEA subsequently notified the...

FG rules out tax increase, to improve tax collection

TVC E, BUSINESS - Contrary to the speculations that the federal government will soon unveil new tax regime as a way of offsetting the deficit in the 2016 budget, minister of  Budget and National Planning, Udo Udoma, said government will rather concentrate on improving taxes’ collection. Stressing that the government does not want to increase the suffering of Nigerians, Udoma said the government is aiming to increase corporate tax and Value Added Tax (VAT) collections by at least 20 per cent. He spoke with State House correspondents at the end of the National Economic Council (NEC) meeting presided over by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo. The minister was accompanied by governors Akinwunmi Ambode (Lagos), Willy Obiano (Anambra) and Badaru Abubakar (Jigawa).  Udoma said: “We expect about 20 per cent increase in VAT collection, which is conservative in terms of our revenue projections. We are expecting much more than that. “With reference to the budget, one thing...

WHO predicts up to four million Zika cases

[caption id="attachment_8205" align="alignleft" width="300"] Mosquito[/caption] TVC E, NEWS - About four million people stand the chance of being infected with Zika virus in the Americas this year, the World Health Organization has predicted. According to WHO, most will not develop symptoms, but the virus, spread by mosquitoes, has been linked to brain defects in babies. But the United States said it hopes to start vaccine trials in people by the end of the year. [caption id="attachment_8207" align="alignleft" width="300"] Dr. Margaret Chan[/caption] Addressing journalists on Thursday, WHO director general, Dr. Margaret Chan, said Zika had gone “from a mild threat to one of alarming proportions.” Chan has set up a Zika “emergency team” after the “explosive” spread of the virus. The world health regulatory body will meet on Monday to decide whether Zika should be treated as a global emergency. It would be recalled that the last time an international emergency was declared was for the Ebola outbreak in...

Buhari seeks counter-terrorism strategies

TVC E, NEWS - For peace to reign in the world, the global community must develop and implement comprehensive and coordinated counter-extremism strategies at sub-regional, regional and continental levels. This is the submission of President Muhammadu Buhari at the opening of a bilateral talks in Nairobi as part of his three day official visit to Kenya. Speaking at the opening of bilateral talks between Nigeria and Kenya, President Buhari warned that radicalization and violent extremism were increasingly taking root across Africa and must be tackled head-on and with brand new strategies. Buhari, in a statement issued by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, said: “The threat posed to national, regional and global peace and security by terrorists has taken an alarming dimension in recent times. “In Nigeria, Boko Haram has caused havoc, especially in the North-eastern part of the country – killing, maiming, destroying livelihoods and displacing hapless citizens, majority of...

Why I won’t speak on the arms deal now —Jonathan

TVC E. former President Goodluck Jonathan, yesterday stated why he would not comment on the current arms probe scandal allegedly involving his National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki, and some top politicians in the country. Jonathan Speaking at Geneva Press Club on Security, and Development in Africa, the former President said he would not like to comment on the arms probe matter now because his comment could affect witnesses and the judicial proceeding that had been initiated by the current administration. He said: “I would not like to comment now because the matter is in court. I cannot comment. Definitely, I will speak. My Comment now may affect witnesses and the judicial process''. “When I was President, I tried to build institutions like the Judiciary and separation of power and the electoral bodies. I should not be the one undermining the process.” The former President fielded questions on a host of issues such as...

I didn’t write most of my hit songs – Lil Kesh

TVC E, MUSIC - YBNL artist Lil Kesh has undoubtedly made a name for himself as one of the best new comers in the Nigerian music industry. Having scored monster hits back to back, Lil Kesh has continued to establish himself as a household name, closely following the footsteps of YBNL honcho, Olamide. With club bangers like 'Shoki,' 'Gbese' and 'Efejoku' under his belt, Olamide's protege has carved a niche for himself in the industry and looks destined for greatness. The 'lyrically' crooner is known to dish out catch phrases from his Arsenal of street lingo with each song, hence it will be a no-brainer to wonder how he comes up with his lyrics and songs. So when the YBNL soldier sat with TVCconnect Meets, a social media arm of TVC which helps celebrities connect with their fans, the question was posed to him. 'Keshi', as he is fondly called by friends responded by saying...

N35m caution deposit: CBN clears 128 BDCs

Following recent developments in the operations of BDCs in the country, more Bureaux De Change have scaled the CBN’s N35m mandatory capital base. The apex bank through the figures it released yesterday Wednesday 27th showed that 128BDCs recapitalized in the last one week bringing the total number of BDC operators to 2,964. Nearly N100billion is expected to be refunded back to the BDCs by CBN that paid the mandatory N35 million deposit that was scrapped last week. In a circular signed by CBN’s Director, Financial Policy & Regulation, Kelvin Amugo, said the decision was reached following recent developments in the operations of BDCs in the economy, prompting the apex bank to refund the mandatory caution deposit of N35 million each to all BDC operators. He went further to say that the regulators will keep the N1 million licensing fee paid by each of the operators and all eligible BDCs are to apply for a...

Pato arrives in UK for Chelsea move

TVC E, SPORTS - Brazilian striker Alexandre Pato has arrived in the UK ahead of completing his six-month loan move to Chelsea. The Blues have agreed terms with the 26-year-old, with an option to make the move permanent in the summer transfer window. Pato signed for AC Milan in 2007 from Internacional and scored 16 Serie A goals in 43 appearances. Newcastle have completed the signing of Andros Townsend from Tottenham. The 24-year-old England winger has signed a five-and-a-half-year deal for a fee understood to be 12 million pounds. The two Premier League clubs agreed the fee on Tuesday after weeks of negotiations that included two rejected offers....

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3