September 29, 2016
Learn how to make African Plantain Cake
Isn’t it amazing how you can use plantain to make cake. The thought of it, is quite yummy!!!, so why not take a look at this recipe and try it at home.
- 2 large plantains
- 1-teaspoon baking soda
- 1-teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 8 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ¾ cup granulated sugar plus 2 Tablespoons
- ⅓-cup yogurt or sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon grated lime
- ¼ cup milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C/325°F.
- Grease a loaf pan generously with cooking spray and set aside.
- Peel plantains, slice and puree in a food processor, or blender until puree. Set aside.
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar at high speed in a stand mixture until it’s fluffy and starting to look white, about 3- 4 minutes. Then add yogurt and mix for another minute
- Stir in the eggs, a little at a time, beating the mixture well between each addition. Then add plantain puree, mix until combine.
- Sift in the flour mixture into the batter, mixing a little at a time and then add the grated lime zest, and nutmeg, followed by milk
- Stir well until everything is fully combined. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Pour batter into a greased cake pan. Tap pan on work surface to eliminate any large air bubbles.
- Bake at 325 until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45–50minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.