5 children, mother die after eating Cassava flour ( Amala ) meal
TVC E. The sad incident occurred on Tuesday, November 1, when six people, lost their lives in Ogaminana area of Okene in Kogi after eating a meal made from cassava flour. The deceased include a mother, three of her children and two of their neighbours.
Abdulhamid Salahudeen, the Public Relations Officer of Adavi local government, said we that three of the victims died on Tuesday at the Okene General Hospital while the woman and two of her children had earlier died on Monday, October 31, in their house.The woman prepared a dinner from the yam flour for the family and extended the food to her neighbour.
The officer said the victims later went to bed but developed severe stomach pain over the night which later resulted in the death of the woman and two of her children. He said that neighbours who sensed that the sudden deaths might be due to the cassava flour dinner quickly rushed the remaining three children that partook in the eating to Okene General Hospital where they died on Tuesday.
Salaudeen said that the authority of the local government believed that the cassava flour was poisoned and had informed the police for appropriate action.