June 13, 2018
#WakeUpNigeria: Learn how to prepare authentic Urhobo Ukodo (Yam peppersoup & chicken pottage)
#WakeUpNigeria Breakfast Show.
Chef Tina put us through on the easiest cooking directions as she prepared a delicious meal, ‘Ukodo (Yam PepperSoup) Porridge and Chicken’ that will have your tastebuds tickling for more. Try the recipe below to open you to the world of flavors.
Yam pepper soup porridge traditionally known as ‘Ukodo’ by the Urhobo’s of Delta, Nigeria is one of the authentic meals recommended for newly nursing mothers to help get the pre-pregnancy body back.
- Chilli Pepper Powder
- Pepper Soup Spice(without ginger and garlic)
- Chopped Pepper
- Seasoning Cube
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- In a clean pot, put enough water and heat up.
- Peel your yam, cut in smaller sizes into a bowl of water and rinse.
- After rinsing, put the small chunks of yam into the already boiling water that is on fire.
- Add a little salt.
- Add seasoning cube to taste and leave to cook.
- Next you cut out your chicken into preferable sizes if not already diced.
- Rinse chicken till its clean and blood free.
- After rinsing, add the chicken to the already boiling yam on fire.
- Allow to cook for about 2minutes.
- Add chilli pepper powder and stir to taste.
- Blend Pepper soup spice if not already in powder form. Add the ground pepper soup spice and stir.
- Cover and allow to cook for another 5minutes.
- Add the diced pepper and stir.
- Leave to simmer for a few more minutes.
- Meal is now ready to be served.
- Add palm oil when serving (optional).
The cooking is that easy!